The next broad cross street, Nagymezô utca, and its surrounding area form the capital's theatre district. The Operetta Theatre maintains the traditions of the great operettas of Vienna and Budapest. Its neighbour is the Moulin Rouge, a night club with floor show and dancing. Nearby we find several other theatres.
Proceeding further on Andrássy út, we note an Art Nouveau building at No. 39; it is a department store called Divatcsarnok, its main exhibition hall is decorated with frescoes by Károly Lotz. Soon we come to two squares opening off the avenue. To the left, in Jókai tér, we see the statue of Mór Jókai, the great romantic novelist of the nineteenth century (by Alajos Stróbl, 1921), to the right in Liszt Ferenc tér, that of Endre Ady (by Géza Csorba, 1960), who in the first two decades of this century brought new life into Hungarian lyric poetry. A few steps from here we find the Liszt Ferenc Academy of Music. Before the war Béla Bartók, Zoltán Kodály, Ernô Dohnányi, and Jenô Hubay were members of its teaching staff, and here first-rate music pedagogues still instruct the composers, performers and music teachers of tomorrow.