The Fishermen's Bastion received its name from the medieval ramparts system which rose above the suburb named Fishermen's Town; furthermore, there used to be a fish-market behind the ramparts. Beneath the Fishermen's Bastion lies the old suburb of Vízi- város (Water Town), now full of new bindings; its Baroque church towers recall the past. Looking to- wards the north we get a view of the Danube with Margaret Island.
The building which dominates the panorama of the Pest bank is that of the Parliament with its dome and spires. At the head of the Chain Bridge in Pest stands the building of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, with the dome of the Basilica in the background. Further down the block of the Hotel Duna Inter-Continental becomes visible. The church towers between the Chain Bridge and Elizabeth Bridge are reminders of the past of the Inner City of Pest.
Beyond the vast, somber mass of the buildings of Pest, there rise in a semicircle the high-rise blocks of the new housing estates built in the 1960s. Casting our glance towards the south we see the Chain Bridge (Lánchíd), built in 1849 in neo-Classic style, rebuilt in 1949, further to the south the most recently reconstructed bridge, 1964-spans the river. The panorama ends at the dolomite rocks of Gellért Hill.