Opposite the church is the former Town Hall of Buda which now houses a research institute of the "Collegium Budapest" (2 Szentháromság utca); its ridge-turret recalls the former chapel. On the corner of the building stands the statue of Pallas Athene, the patron of the town, holding the coat of arms of Buda. The Baroque Trinity Statue in the centre of the square was erected by the citizens in the eighteenth century in thanksgiving for their escape from the plague.
In 1925-30 it was almost completely re-carved; the damage caused by the Second World War was repaired in 1968. To the north of the statue, the neo-Gothic building, built in the spirit of eclecticism, is the former Ministry of Finance, which now houses a student hostel. The short Szent- háromság utca starts opposite Matthias Church. In the barrel-vaulted doorways of Nos. 5 and 7 medieval doors and Gothic niches with seats have been found, the latter a rarity in dwelling-houses. In No. 7 the Ruszwurm pastry-shop, opened in 1827, still functions, with its original furnishings.
The little street leads to the western end of Castle Hill, the Bastion Promenade. The view we saw from the Fishermen's Bastion can now be complemented by the panorama which unfolds from here. Below in the valley lie the inner districts of Buda. The huge park in the centre is the Vérmezô (Blood Meadow); further on the modern building of the Southern Railway Station can be seen. The building also contains the terminal of the east-west line of the Metro.
The view extends as far as the Buda hills. To the northwest their highest point is the 529 meter (1750 ft.) János Hill, with a look-out tower on top. Not far from it the Television Tower is visible; on the south side the last of the hills is the Gellért Hill. A hundred years ago the slopes of the hills below the woods were covered with vines; Buda wines were famous. In the 1870s phylloxera destroyed the vineyards, which have now been replaced by garden suburbs.
The Bastion Promenade itself dates back to Turkish times; below it runs the so-called Long Wall of the Castle District's western ramparts. It was fortified with several round bastions, the largest of which, at the northern end of the War History Museum, is the so-called Esztergom Bastion. The cannons, made in Hungarian or foreign foundries and used in defense of or against the walls of Buda, are also exhibited here.