The Vienna Gate (Bécsi kapu) is the only existing old town-gate of Buda; is has been rebuilt in neo-Classic style. A memorial plaque in Latin (1936) is dedicated to the international Christian army which in 1686 recaptured the town from the Turks. On Bécsikapu tér the late Baroque dwelling-houses at Nos. 5-8 form a pleasant and often photographed complex of monuments. In 1935-37 Thomas Mann stayed several times in No. 7 as a guest of Baron Lajos Hatvany, the eminent patron of letters. At the northern end of the square rises the huge block of the Hungarian National Archives.
On Kapisztrán tér stands the solitary tower of the Mary Magdalene Church. This used to be the town's second parish church and is mentioned in a document dating from 1276. During the Turkish occupation it was the only Christian church in Buda and was used both by Protestants and Catholics. Its nave and chancel were destroyed in the Second World War.