The Lukács and Császár baths.
Continuing our walk and crossing Mártírok útja, the main boulevard of
Buda, through an underground passage, we are in
Frankel Leó utca, where, at No. 25-29. we find the
Lukács spa and swimming pool, and, at No. 31-33 ,
the Császár baths.
These small bathing establishments
grew at the beginning of the nineteenth century on the
level land between the hills and the river Danube. As
early as the Middle Ages,
charitable knights had a hospital
here, and later the Turks added baths. However ,
in Turkish times the abundant hot springs were mainly
used to work the gunpowder-mills. At present the baths
fed by 17 springs and with a temperature of 17-50oC
60-122oF), provide relief and cure for patients suffer-
ing from rheumatism, arthritis, inflammations and
muscular diseases. On the left side of Frankel Leó utca,
the Mill Pond ( Malom-tó ) collects the water of the hot-water springs.
The Lukács baths were built by József Hild in 1842 in
neo-Classic style. The tablets on the walls of the inner
court have been placed there by grateful patients who were cured here.
The original Turkish bath hall of the Csaszár baths is surrounded by
neo-Classic and Romantic buildings. The curative effect of the water was
known to the
The bath hall was built in 1571-72 by Sokoli Mustapha.
The other parts of the building were constructed in I829 to the designs
of József Hild. Next to the old bath rises the Komjádi
sports swimming pool, completed in 1976. Along the
opposite side of the narrowing street is the long building
of a former hospital for rheumatics. The new trade
union sanatorium built in 1968-70 rises above it on
Rose Hill (Rózsadomb).