Budapest's largest housing estate is being built on the site of the single-storey houses of this formerly rural district. Only a few remainders of the one-time Roman legionaries' town, of the medieval Chapter seat and of the queens' palace could be excavated; all of these were destroyed during the Turkish occupation and, after 1686, settlers founded a new town on the site.

In 1872 Óbuda was united with Buda and Pest. The Árpád Bridge, completed in 1950, is the longest bridge in Budapest-it stretches for almost two kilometres (one and a quarter m.), together with its approaches, and it directly links Óbuda and Pest. At the Buda end of the bridge large-scale reconstruction is going on, but a group of historical monuments is being left intact as a relic of the past: a small town with an eighteenth-century Baroque palace at No.1 Fô tér, scene of open air concerts in summer, an old parish church, and crooked streets lined with single-storey houses all preserved in their original state.