The Liberation Monument
The Liberation Monument (the work of Zsigmond
Kisfaludi Strobl) was erected in 1947 to commemorate
the liberation of the country and in honour of the soldiers
of the liberating Soviet Army ( today we call it occupation ).
The female figure holding the palm of victory together with the pedestal
is 40 metres (132 ft.) high. In front of it is the statue of
a Soviet soldier; of the two accessory figures one
vanquishes the symbolic figure of destruction and devastation,
the other one raises high the torch of progress.
The names of fallen Soviet soldiers are carved on the pedestal.
On the. southern and western slopes below the Citadel
the Jubilee Park was completed in 1965-66 ; from here
the view extends to the semicircle of the Buda hills.
Of the statues in the park mention must be made of
István Kiss's relief "Budapest" and of Ferenc Medgyessy's
work "St. Gerard's (Gellért's) Fountain"
standing in the lower end of the park.