A new building rises on the Danube side of the square: this "palace of culture" houses several musical establishments, publishing houses and editorial offices; on the ground-floor are a record shop, an exhibition hall and a concert agency and on the first floor we find a concert hall. It is adjoined on the Danube side by a Romantic-style building, the Vigadó (Concert Hall), built in 1859-64 to the designs of Frigyes Feszl (1821-1884); this is an early and important manifestation of Hungarian Romantic architecture; it played a significant part in the social and artistic life of the capital, and was the scene of great balls and receptions. The most famous artists of the world appeared in the concert hall.
Since its reconstruction in 1980, it is once more the scene of popular concerts. The façade is decorated with symbolic figures connected with music and dance and with statues of the great men of Hungarian history. The obelisk in the little square in front of the Vigadó was erected to the memory of the Soviet soldiers who died fighting for the liberation of the capital.