Click on the left or
right side of the above picture to get a bigger one of that part! (~180 kbyte!)
About Hungary's geography
Hungary occupies the low-lying areas of the Carpathian basin. Two-thirds of
the territory consist of plains below 200 metres.
Area: 93,030 square km, 1% of the area of Europe
Highest peak: Kekes 1014m (in the Matra mountains)
- Northern latitude 45 48' - 48 35'
- Eastern longitude 16 05' - 22 58'
- State border length: 2,242 km
- of which
- the Ukraine 215 km
- Romania 432 km
- former Yugoslavia 631 km
- Austria 356 km
- Slovakia 608 km
- Height above sea level:
- under 200 m 84%
- 200-400 m 14%
- above 400 m 2%
- Longest rivers:
- Danube - Hungarian stretch 417 km (full length 2,860 km)
- (tributaries: Raba, Drava, Sio, Ipoly)
- Tisza - Hungarian stretch 598 km (full length 962 km)
- (tributaries: Szamos, Kraszna, the Koros rivers, Maros, Hernad, Sajo, Berettyo)
- Largest lakes:
- Balaton 598 square km surface area
- Velence lake 26 square km surface area
- Ferto lake 322 square km surface area (Hungarian part 82 square km)
Jump to the Hungarian Home Page.