Opernhaus, Zurich

Zurich's first opera house was the "Aktientheater", opened on 10th of November 1834 with "The magic Flute". The theater was destroyed by fire in 1st of January 1890. The new "Opernhaus" was built by architects Fellner and Helmer and opened its doors in 1891 with a production of "Lohengrin". The Opernhaus hosted the first premiere of "Lulu" of Alban Berg (1937) and "Mathis der Maler" of Paul Hindemith (1938). The building was renewed in 1984 and reopened with the premiere of "Der Kirschgarten" of Rudolf Kelterborn.

After Ralf Weikert (from 1984), the young Austrian conductor Franz Welser-Most assumed the post of Music Director of the Zurich Opera in September 1995. Since 1991/92, Alexander Pereira, former general manager of the Wiener Konzerthaus, has been head of the Opera House. He opened his first season with a sensational production of Robert Wilson: "Lohengrin", the opera that inaugurated the theatre 100 years before.


Address:

Opernhaus Zurich Falkenstrasse 1 CH-8008 Zurich Tel: +41 1 268 64 00 Fax: +41 1 268 64 01

Ticket office:


A schedule for the complete season can be ordered under the above mentioned address.

Ticket prices:

Prices are given in Swiss Francs.

Category 1 applies for ballets. LA (Liederabend) means song recitals without orchestra. Operas are usually fall into Cat. 3 to 4 (sometimes 2), premieres of new productions are Cat. 4 or 5.


Capacity

Number of seats per Order (1 to 6): 560, 76, 173, 217, 139
Giovanni Christen